Open Foris is a set of free and open-source software tools that facilitates flexible and efficient data collection, analysis and reporting.
Open Foris includes:
- Collect: Easy and flexible survey design and data management
- Collect Mobile: Intuitive data collection and validation in the field
- Collect Earth: Innovative land assessment through freely available satellite imagery
- Calc: Efficient and collaborative data analysis and results dissemination
- Geospatial Toolkit: Powerful command-line utilities for processing geospatial data
Government, research institutions and NGOs use these tools for a wide range of monitoring purposes such as: Forest Inventories, Climate Change reporting, Socio-economic surveys, Biodiversity assessment, Land Use, Land Use Change and Forestry measurement, Deforestation monitoring with remote sensing, Detecting desertification and trees outside of forest.
The initiative is a collaborative effort of numerous public and private institutions and it is hosted by the Forestry Department of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).