This high-level meeting will provide an opportunity for in-depth discussions on important issues in the implementation of the WSIS outcomes, including the progress, gaps and challenges, as well as areas for future actions.
The programme of activities related to the WSIS High-Level Meeting includes three, mutually-reinforcing streams:
- The plenary, on 15-16 December in accordance General Assembly rules of procedure, will feature consecutive statements from Member States and non-government entities.
- The annual GemTech Awards, organized by UN Women and ITU on the evening of 14 December, recognize outstanding efforts to ensure that girls and women achieve digital equality in all its dimensions.
- Sixteen side events, organized by Member States, UN agencies, and non-government stakeholders between 14 and 16 December, will offer interactive exchange on key topics cited in the review and future action.
The co-facilitators particularly draw attention to two events:
- On the morning of 15 December from 9:00 to 9:45 am in the Trusteeship Council, the UAE and Latvian missions will organize a special welcoming event for all delegates. Encapsulating the content and spirit of the review, the event will hear leading voices in the ICT sector discuss the last 10 years' progress and challenges, and suggested future action for the WSIS community.
- On the evening of 15 December, from 18:00 to 20:00, all delegates are invited to a reception in the UN Delegates Dining Room hosted by the co-facilitators.
Much of the High Level event and the side events can be followed live on UN Web TV